Access the full current and upcoming semester on the USC academic calendar 2023 to find key dates and information including holidays, registration dates, payment deadlines, drop or add dates, exams, and commencement for each term.
The University of Southern California is on a semester system made of Summer, Fall, and Spring semesters.
Table of Contents
USC academic calendar spring 2023
USC Spring 2023 has 69 instructional days. These are other important dates and deadlines on the USC academic calendar for Spring 2023.
- USC spring semester open registration starts on Thursday, January 5 2023 to Friday, January 6, 2023.
- USC Spring 2023 classes start on Monday, January 9, 2023.
- Martin Luther King’s Day Holiday is Monday, January 16 2023 according to the USC holiday calendar.
- According to the USC academic calendar 2023, January 27 2023 is the;
- Last day to register and add classes for Session 001.
- Last day to drop a class without a mark of “W,” except for Monday-only classes, and receive a refund for Session 001.
- Last day to change enrollment option to Audit for Session 001.
- Last day to purchase or waive tuition refund insurance.
- January 31, 2023, is the last day to add/drop a Monday-only class without a mark of “W” and receive a refund or change to Audit for Session 001.
- President’s Day Holiday is on Monday, February 20, 2023.
- February 24 2023 is the last day to drop a course without a mark of “W” on the transcript. A Mark of “W” will still appear on the student record and STARS report and tuition charges still apply. The same day is the Last day to change a Pass/No Pass to a letter grade for Session 001.
- USC Spring break 2023 is from Sunday, March 12 2023 to Sunday, March 19, 2023.
- April 7, 2023, is the last day to drop a class with a mark of “W” for Session 001.
- USC Spring classes end on Friday, April 28, 2023.
- Spring 2023 Study days are from Saturday, April 29 to Tuesday, May 2, 2023.
- Exams start on Wednesday, May 3 to Wednesday, May 10, 2023.
- The USC Spring semester ends on Thursday, May 12, 2023, according to USC academic calendar 2023.
- USC Commencement/graduation 2023 is Friday, May 12, 2023.
For more on USC academic calendar 2023, visit the University of Southern California academic calendar page.
USC Spring break 2023
The University of Southern California, USC Spring break 2023 is from Sunday, March 12, 2023 to Sunday, March 19, 2023, according to the USC academic calendar 2023. Classes resume after Spring recess on Monday, March 20, 2023.
USC Spring break 2023 is 1 week long. There are no classes during the Spring recess.
USC graduation 2023
USC graduation (Commencement) 2023 takes place on Friday, May 12, 2023, at the University of Southern California Alumni Memorial Park.
It will be the 140th Commencement Ceremony in the history of the school. USC does not have a university-wide minimum GPA requirement for graduate admission eligibility.
The graduation ceremony opens with a grand academic procession beginning at 8:30 a.m., followed by remarks by university leadership, the conferring of honorary degrees, and addresses by the valedictorian and commencement speaker.
The procession begins at 8:30 a.m. and the ceremony at 9:00 a.m., but USC recommends guests arrive by 7:00 a.m. to secure parking and seating. Those who arrive by 6:00 a.m. will have an easier time parking and finding seating. Seating is first come, first serve, USC does not give out tickets.
USC graduation ceremonies lasts about 1 and half hour to 2 hours.
The University welcomes the many family members and friends arriving on campus to celebrate Commencement with their graduating students. Graduating families are encouraged to celebrate the USC graduating Class of 2023 by using #USCGrad on social media.
Do students have to register for Commencement?
There is no sign-up process for participation in the University of Southern California graduation ceremony which is on the date, Friday, May 12, 2023 at 8:30 a.m. in Alumni Park. If you’re on track to graduate in the Fall, Spring, or Summer of the 2022/2023 academic year, you can march in the main university ceremony without any registration process.
USC move in day 2023
USC move-in day 2023 is on Wednesday, August 16, 2023 for undergraduates and Monday, August 7, 2023 for graduate students.
According to USC academic calendar 2023-2024, Fall semester move-in appointments for undergraduates will begin prior to the contract start date and may be requested online on the Housing portal in the summer.
Requests may be submitted online until August 1.
USC campus area traffic will be very busy during Fall Move-In day. Students are encouraged to adopt a minimalist approach when deciding what to bring with them. You may wish to coordinate bringing big items, such as appliances, with your roommate(s).
Not everything has to be brought in on Move-In Day. Some items, like winter clothing, for example, can be brought or shipped later.
You will need basic items, such as linens, toiletries, and personal electronics. If you are living in an apartment and plan on preparing some of your meals, you will need to bring cooking and eating utensils along with basic cleaning tools and supplies.
What not to bring during USC move-in day 2023
Every USC housing facility is fully furnished. Most residents can expect an extra-long twin bed (36” X 80”), a desk, a desk chair, dresser drawers, and closet space.
With the exception of the two-bedroom loft units in University Village, which do not have a living room or a full kitchen, apartments are also furnished with living room and dining room furniture, and kitchen appliances (stove/oven and refrigerator).
Suite-style units are furnished with living room furniture, which varies by building. Residence hall rooms have a microwave/fridge combination unit.
Each resident is responsible for supplying their own linens (pillows, blankets, towels) and in apartments with kitchens, and cooking utensils.
All residence hall rooms and suite bedrooms at USC also come with a micro-fridge (a small refrigerator-and-microwave combination unit).
Please Don’t Bring the following during USC housing move-in day 2023.
Pets – The only pets allowed in university housing are fish in aquariums of 10 gallons or less capacity.
Air Conditioning Units – If your housing assignment does not have AC, you cannot install or place a standalone unit in your room yourself. This is a physical alteration of the property, prohibited for safety and security reasons.
Dish/Satellite TV Receivers – Installing such a unit is a physical alteration prohibited for safety reasons. Remember, all USC housing facilities come with free digital cable TV service.
WiFi Routers – All buildings have USC Wireless and Guest Wireless. Installing your own router can interfere with the USC signal and is a violation of policy.
Hoverboards – Per university policy, hoverboards are not allowed in housing facilities.