MyNSFAS is an online portal for students who have applied and are receiving financial aid from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS). With MyNSFAS, you can access important information about your financial aid, including your loan or bursary balance, disbursement dates, and NSFAS status.
You can also use your NSFAS login account dashboard to update your personal and academic information, upload supporting documents, and communicate with NSFAS.
Students or NSFAS applicants are strongly encouraged to create their MyNSFAS accounts and check their account and status regularly.
Table of Contents
How to log into myNSFAS account
To access your myNSFAS account portal,
- Navigate directly to the NSFAS login page my.nsfas.org.za.
- Enter your NSFAS ID number.
- Enter your password and click on the reCAPTCHA to verify you.
- Click on the “Login” button to access your account.
- To update your email and phone number, click on the “My personal details” tab.
- Update your cellphone number and/or email address to your current one.
- Click “Update your details” to proceed.
- A One-Time Pin (OTP) will be sent to the new number and email address that you have provided.
- Enter the OTP and click submit.
- Your details will immediately be updated.
Your cellphone number or email address must be uniquely yours and cannot be shared.
How to create myNSFAS account
To create your NSFAS account, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to www.nsfas.org.za.
- Click on “register.“
- Complete the required fields (ID number, cellphone number, and email address).
- Type in first names (as per ID number).
- Type in Surname (as per ID number).
- Type in your ID number (will your username).
- Type in your Email address.
- Type in your Cellphone number.
- Accept the terms and conditions. Tick the box provided to allow NSFAS to check the information provided (compulsory).
- Create a Password, to (protect your account).
Once you have created your MyNSFAS account, you can log in at any time to view and manage your NSFAS financial aid.
Your ID number, Names, and Surname are validated against the Department of Home Affairs database. Only valid South African ID information will be accepted.
How to check your NSFAS status 2023
When you apply for financial aid with NSFAS bursary, you will usually expect a response a few days after the application closing date, which is Tuesday, 31 January 2023.
If you’ve been waiting anxiously to find out whether you have been accepted into the scheme or not, here’s a simple guide on how to check your National Student Financial Aid Scheme application status.
To check your NSFAS application status:
- Log into your MyNSFAS account portal.
- On the NSFAS login page, enter your ID or username and password.
- Click the Login button.
- Once you log into your account dashboard, click on Track Funding Progress to check your application status.
- If your application has been successful, Congrats! If not, better luck next time.
Once your funding application becomes successful, NSFAS will cover your costs for:
- Living allowance
- Learning material allowance
- Personal care allowance
If you are studying at the University of South Africa (UNISA), you will receive funding for:
- Books (subject to the number of modules registered)
- Personal care allowance
However, if your NSFAS application status outcome reads “unsuccessful”, you can submit an NSFAS appeal application with the required information and document. Submit your appeal within 30 days after the appearance of the “unsuccessful” status on your NSFAS portal dashboard. NSFAS contact details are also available if you want to reach out to them.
How to reset your MyNSFAS account password
Already have an account but forgot your MyNSFAS account password?
Don’t panic, simply reset your Nsfas login password by:
- Navigate to the NSFAS login page via my.nsfas.org.za.
- Click on the “Forgot password” tab and enter your ID number
- Choose whether you have access to your email or phone number.
- Click the reCAPTCHA button and click on the “Send code“ button.
- You will receive an OTP via email or SMS.
- Type in the OTP you received and click “Submit“
- You will then be required to create a new password.
- Ensure you type in a strong password you can remember. Your new password should not be shared with anyone.
How to unlock mynsfas account login
Did you know that if your myNSFAS portal account is locked or blocked, you need to reset your myNSFAS login details by clicking on the “Forgot password” link and following the steps provided?
To unlock your NSFAS account, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to unblock your account, send an email to email@example.com.
If you have forgotten your MyNSFAS login details and do not have access to the email address or cell phone number on the Nsfas system, you’re required to submit a certified affidavit requesting that your email and cell phone number be updated with the old and new details reflecting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kindly note that applications for NSFAS funding for the 2023 academic year are currently open. You have until midnight on Tuesday, January 31 2023 to submit your applications.
NSFAS will release funding decisions for all applicants from February 2023. NSFAS payment dates 2023 and funding decisions will be communicated to applicants via the myNSFAS portal. Make sure you create or have access to your account to check your NSFAS wallet.